Hair thinning and thyroid

Patient

Q: I am 48 year old male, having chronic hair thinning problem. Recently did Thyroid test.
Readings T3- 78 ng/dl, T4 - 8.9μg/dl, TSH - 1.6mlU/L. Is the hair thinning related to Thyroid

Symptoms:  Thinning hair
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.

Hair thinning and hair fall can occur in both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
But usually in males, hair thinning occurs as a part of Androgenetic alopecia.
It is a kind of hair loss due to male hormones dihydrotestosterone leading to hair thinning and ultimately hair fall. It is also known as Male pattern baldness.

I hope I am able to solve your query.
Take care