Hairline Fracture of Fibula after Basketball

Q: I injured my ankle playing basketball three days ago, and it became very swollen after the game. I am a 15 year old male. I saw a foot doctor the next day and he diagnosed a bad sprain as well as a possible hairline fracture in my lower fibula. I had an MRI done the same night. I am currently on crutches and in a soft cast. I go back two days from now to see my doctor, and I am curious. If the MRI confirms a hairline fracture, what kind of treatment should i expect? Also I'd like to know what kind to expect if the MRI shows up negative. Thank you.

A:   If the MRI confirms a fracture, the leg will be immobilized in a cast for six weeks to three months. You will also be given painkillers which will not only help with the pain but the swelling as well. If it is only a sprain, then your ankle should be placed in a brace for 1-2 weeks and walking begun as soon as possible.  You may require physical therapy to help with the recovery process.