Hamstring Injury

Patient

Q: Pulled a hamstring muscle four weeks ago, when and how long before I can get back to biking. I can still feel the injury and do not want to prolong recovery.

Doctor

A:    The muscles and tendons that form the hamstring go from upper leg to close to the knee in their distal insertion. Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the initial injury. The conservative treatment consists of: initially, protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (known as the PRICE formula) can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Heat can be applied when the swelling has lessened, anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. A Physical Therapy program for 4-6 weeks must be followed and practice at home the stretching exercises above all. The healing time and conditions for each patient are different.