Hamstring Injury and pain in the back of the knee

Q: I was wondering is it possible that a hamstring and glute injury can lead to a knee injury. I recently strained my glute and 2 areas in my hamstring and recently when i run i feel this pain in the back of my knee. I just wanted to know if it was possibility that my knee hurts because of my occurring injury.

A:   The pain in the back of the knee is due to the hamstring injury, the muscles and tendons that form the hamstring go from upper leg to close to the knee in their distal insertion.Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the injury.The conservative treatment consists of: initially, protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (known as the PRICE formula) can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Heat can be applied when the swelling has lessened, anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: Aleve), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. A Physical Therapy program for 4-6 weeks must be followed and practice at home the stretching exercises above all. The healing time and conditions for each patient are different.