Hand warts/growths

Patient: Can genital warts be spread to hands and vice versa? I have had some small growths on my hand for a while, they are 2-3mm smooth and skin colored if not slightly lighter than the surrounding skin at times, and a painless and not itchy. I am unsure if they are warts as they are not rough and have not been responding to over the counter or holistic wart treatments for warts but I would rather not spread them to other parts of my body if I can help it, thank you.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible for warts to spread to other areas of the body. Genital warts are caused by the Human Papillomavirus. Although different serotypes of this virus infects the hands and mouth versus the genital region, it is still possible for it to spread. Since these warts have not been responding to over the counter treatments, we recommend that you see a dermatologist who can either freeze them or surgically remove them as they see fit.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com