Hangnail Injury Resulting in Unusual Skin Growth

Q: I had a hangnail a good three, four months ago. Not knowing what to do about it, I just removed it manually by ripping it and dealt with the pain, though it injured the bottom of the side nail fold, as well. Now, however, the skin has come back in a sort of clump near the cuticle, and the skin keeps growing whenever I cut it back. The top of the lump looks sort of like very short brush bristles, probably the skin cell clumps that have grown back. I'm sorry I can't get pictures of the growth, my camera is broken, but I've tried to describe it as best as I can.

This is quite unsightly, and as I have certain texture "preferences," if you will, the skin there really bothers me at times whenever it brushes against other fingers. Is there anything I can do about this at home or will I need to see a dermatologist about removing or repairing the damage? I have limited access to dermatology due to needing referrals from my general practitioner(Which I also have limited access to), so I can go if absolutely necessary(And this isn't a very serious problem, either), but if there's home remedies, then I'd like to know.