Hard BB sized lumpon deltoid

Patient: I have a hard BB sized lump on the outer arm, on the lower part of my deltoid near my bicep. What could this be?

Symptoms: No symptoms, just came across the lump while rubbing my arm. I have had no pain or discomfort from it

Hard BB sized lumpon deltoid-1

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that this lump could be a benign tumor consisting of fatty tissue. This is c alled a lipoma. Lipomas can occur anywhere in the body, beneath the surface of the skin.They are not associated with a risk of cancer and can grow in size over time. Lipomas that become enlarged and painful usually have to be surgically removed. Smaller ones can remain beneath the surface of skin without any problem and can in fact resolve without any complication. If you choose to have it removed, it would be best to have it examined by a dermatologist or general surgeon who can easily remove a lipoma of this size with a minor surgical excision conducted within their office.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com