Hard swelling settled around top of knee

Patient

Q: I took a blow to the knee a while ago during football. It swelled up pretty good and was bruised a lot especially around the top. It didn't hurt to run but if I put enough weight on it it would. I heated and iced it for a long time after that.its been about 6 months since it happened and my knee is still not back to normal yet. There is like hard swelling on the top that doesn't hurt to the touch. The skin on top is numb it feels a bruise stil but the color is normal. I'm wondering if it's just a bursa sac that hasn't healed all of the way yet or if it's something more serious?

Symptoms:  Pain inside under knee cap
Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

You seem to be have developed acute knee sprain, but you should rule out any knee ligament injury or bleeding inside the joint (Hamartosis). In such scenario, if the knee joint movement is fine, then we initially give 5 days conservative treatment and if there is no response, then we investigate.
So, you should do cold ice fomentation of the knee and apply Diclofenac ointment locally. In case of severe pain, you can take Pain killers like Diclofenac if the pain is severe and there are no contraindications for its use. Avoid sitting in squatting position and climbing stairs.
If you don't get any relief after even 5 days of therapy, then you would require to get MRI of your knee joint done, to rule out any ligament injury and hamartosis.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.