Hard to breathe while waking up from sleep

Patient

Q: I was having a dream that someone that looked really familiar was holding me in a position and threatening to break my arm. I was confused, but I couldn't say anything or move. My arms began to go numb, but the person finally let go and the dream stopped. I was awake but my eyes wouldn't open. Then I felt a pressure on my neck and breathing became hard. My breathing did not completely stop, it had only become extremely tough to get oxygen. I felt like there was a breath on my face, like there was someone there. I counted the seconds that I was struggling to breathe and it was only about 7 seconds. I immediately opened my eyes and saw nothing. The same thing had also happened to me on a plane a while back, but I ignored it. This always happens when I'm asleep, and it scares me to the point my heart is pounding in my ears as I wake up.

Symptoms:  Hard to breathe, paralyzed
Doctor

The experience you have had in sleep is known as NIGHTMARE and it typically occurs in REM IV stage of sleep. These are commonly seen in people who have a very stressful life and have been usually tired by the end of the day .
These are subconscious replications of your fears in daily life and they can be treated with A mild antianxiety drug at sleeptime. You may take tab alprazolam half the dose 1 tab on alternate nights for a week. You should be benefitted.
I hope i have answered your query,
regards