Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Harmful Iron Supplementation

Harmful Iron Supplementation

Patient: I was wondering if it is possible to have an iron overdose if I was taking 45mg tablets daily for the past 6 months?

Symptoms: Extreme tiredness
Weakness in legs
Anxiety
Lack of menstruation

Doctor: Thank you for your question. The recommend daily dietary allowance of iron for a woman your age is around 18mg per day. If you have not been diagnosed with anemia, it is possible that you are getting to much iron in your daily 45mg Iron supplements.Symptoms of iron toxicity are generally gastrointestinal in nature, presenting with nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting. If were not prescribed iron supplementation for specific medical reason by your doctor we are not certain as to why you are doing so. Adequate daily iron can be obtain from food such as lean read meat, green leafy vegetables, and fortified cereals. If you have any further concerns, please feel free to ask us or if you develop any of the aforementioned symptoms, please see your doctor.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com