Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Have I hurt my baby?

Have I hurt my baby?

Patient: I used cocaine once and then found out I am 8 weeks pregnant.. I am worried I have done something that may have harmed my baby.. Should my baby be okay, or have I caused damage to him or her?

Doctor: Hello,Cocaine use during first trimester of pregnancy is strictly prohibited. You can definitely harm your child. The fetus may develop congenital anomalies. This can be followed up with serial ultrasounds after 14th week when anomalies can be fairly detected , so that you can be informed earlier and can take an informed decision of abortion if required. You may discuss the possibilities with your physician and weigh your options .I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards