Have not gotten period, not sure why

Patient: I got my last period on November 5. From November 23-30, I was on methylprednisolone and I should have gotten my period by now. I have taken 3 home pregnancy tests and all said negative. I have noticed I have been more stressed with things in life.

Symptoms: Upper abdomen pains

Doctor: Stress may throw your hormonal balance out of gear and may cause irregular periods. When we are stressed, regardless of the source (danger, personal relationships, work, environment) our adrenal glands are designed to secrete the hormone cortisol. Cortisol has a direct impact on the sex hormones estrogen, progesterone, and DHEA. Eating disorders, dieting, drug use, and reliance on stimulants like caffeine and alcohol are also interpreted by the body as kinds of stress. Poor nutrition seems to physically change the proteins in the brain so they can no longer send the proper signals for normal ovulation.There are many other causes for irregular periods, too. Polycystic ovarian syndrome and thyroid problems are also common causes. Improper diet, sleep problems, weight changes all these factors affect your cycles. You need to have a healthy diet and reduce stress by making necessary healthy lifestyle changes, relaxation therapy, breathing exercises, meditation, yoga or aerobics. I would advise you to observe your periods and if they continue to be irregular, I would recommend that you see your doctor to rule out any underlying pathology.

Was this answer helpful?

View all posts