Haven't had a period in five months!

Patient

Q: Dear doctor,
I am 18 years old, 5'4'' and roughly 103 pounds. I have not gotten my period in almost 5 months. I am on the birth control Junel but very forgetful at taking it. Sometimes I will even forget to order a refill, causing to take my birth control a week later than I'm supposed to . (I know, it's bad) But, I use birth control for my acne, I am not sexually active. Could the cause of my missed periods be because of my off and on taking of my birth control? Would it be best for me to stop my birth control all together in order for my period to return?

Also, in the past 6 or 7 months I was under a lot of stress and lost a bit of weight. I am now eating healthy though and gaining it back, and under no stress at all.

Doctor