Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Haven’t had my period in 3 months

Haven’t had my period in 3 months

Patient: Im 20 and haven’t had my period in 3 months and I’m not pregnant

Doctor: Certainly pregnancy is the first diagnosis that needs to be ruled out after missing a period. Since in your case we can rule out pregnancy, other causes of missed periods are rapid weight loss, diet change, increased exercise and certain more complex conditions such as thyroid problems. A blood test to evaluate your female hormones levels would be the initial step and a more detailed history and evaluation by your doctor. I hope that helps, take care.

Guest: Stress will also cause you to not have a period. When I went through basic training, I didn’t have a period for the entire two months and another month afterward. My physician at the time told me that stressful situations either physical or mental can cause a lack of a menstrual cycle.