September 21, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Having hip pain and I’m not sure way

Having hip pain and I’m not sure way

Patient: Hi, I’m 18 and female about 5’1 and 128 lbs and I’m having hip problems. My hips always are popping and cracking, and they hurt sometimes worse then others but they usually are hurting. It’s not just in one spot either it’s EVERYWHERE, my hip flexors, the back of them, the sides everything. I’ve never had and injury with them. I’ve played sports always a lot of Volleyball. I noticed this for about a year and half I just thought it was because of the sports but now I’m out of school and not playing and it’s just as bad and sometimes they pop worse I’ve seen a chiropractor for a few months constantly but they would always just got back to the same it gave me relief for about a day or two and just back to the same.

Symptoms: Hip pain, popping, cracking

Doctor: Thank you for your question.It is possible that you may developing arthritis within your hip joints. This could be du e to the excessive physical activity you engage in as well as genetic predisposition to early onset arthritis. This would account for the hip pain, and crepitus (cracking/popping) you are experiencing in your hip joint. We recommend that you have you consult an orthopaedic surgeon who will perform a thorough evaluation of your hip joint. You may need to undergo an MRI of your hip joints in order to assist the specialist in determining any degenerative changes of your hip.We recommend that you refrain from playing sports until you are evaluated. This will prevent exacerbation of your pain, and prevent any potential injuries which may arise from this possible degenerative hip condition.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com