Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
Difficulty in falling asleep can be quite troublesome. We need to follow the steps of good sleep hygiene.
1) A warm water bath before going to sleep is recommended.
2) Avoid heavy dinners.
3) Use your bedroom only for sleeping and resting and do not do any other work there.
4) Have some aerobic workouts during day preferably in the morning like walking or jogging.
5) Don’t try very hard to go to sleep. If you are not sleepy then sit on a couch or sofa and do some reading and go to the bed only when you are sleepy.
6) Avoid afternoon nap for any reason.
7) Keep the lighting of your bedroom dim and make your bed every morning after you wake up so that you get a cozy bed to sleep at night.
8) Completely avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/energy drinks/coke/smoking.
9) Avoid watching tv or working on laptop/computer or bright screens at night.
If the problem doesn't resolve with these steps then you may need to take medicines such as zolpidem or clonazepam etc.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
Wish you good health!
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.