H.B. and Allergies

Patient

Q: I have high blood pressure and weak kidneys. What can I take for allergies?

Doctor

A:   Any medication should to be used cautiously with kidney problems, blood pressure, heart or liver conditions. Also the dose and frequency of most drugs need to be adjusted and monitored by your doctor, since these drugs are largely removed  from the system through urine. The available OTC allergy medications like benadryl, atarax etc could be taken, but under the supervision of your treating doctor and lower initial dosages may be appropriate.