HbA1c test and Diabetes medications

Patient: I went to my doctor 3 months ago for refills. She used a store bought test to check my A1C. it was 6.2. She took me off my meds. I don’t think this is a good idea. If your a1c is normal on meds, does it make sense to take someone off them? Or am I paraniod?

Doctor: HbA1c provides accurate measurement of sugar levels over the past 3 months. Levels between 5.7 and 6.4 is considered pre diabetes, whereas levels above 6.5 percent indicate diabetes. As your sugars have stayed well in the pre diabetic range over these months, it would be worth trying to control your sugars with diet and exercise, and no medications. However you need to monitor your sugars regularly and follow up with your doctor for better management of your sugar levels.

Guest: Hello doctor,My dad HBA1C is 9.2..he is diabetic…please suggests is that reading ok