HCG Diet And Effects On Pregnancy

Patient

Q: My husband and I are going to try to get pregnant this June. But I wanted to lose some weight first and was thinking about the HCG diet. Would this cause any long term affects for a baby, or would it be harmful to a baby?

Doctor

A:   HCG is a pregnancy hormone which is produced by the placenta. HCG hormones can also be used as part of a diet plan in order to lose weight.  The HCG diet which includes hCG in drops usually involves a low calorie diet as well as daily doses of HCG drops. Pregnancy can affect the use of HCG drops and I would not recommended using HCG drops or injections if you are pregnant. You may have to use birth control to prevent pregnancy effectively when you take hCG drops. I hope this helps, take care.