Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hcg diet drops and brain damage in a fetus

Hcg diet drops and brain damage in a fetus

Patient: If I get pregnant while taking hcg drops on the hcg diet will my baby get brain damage if I do not know I am pregnant and continue to take thehcg drops?

Doctor: It is not know whether HCG drops cause fetal brain damage. HCG drops contain human chorionic gonadotropin, the hormone p produced by the placenta during the early stages of pregnancy to aid in sustaining the fetus. Dieting using HCG drops may be beneficial to some as you may lose 1 to 2 lbs. per day. However, the drops do have certain side effects. Some side effects that may be experienced using the HCG drops are pregnancies resulting in a multiple birth, ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome and symptoms of pregnancy. Ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome, or OHSS, is a condition in which your ovaries become painful and swollen. This condition develops after taking medications that affect your ovaries and may develop complications that can be life-threatening. Symptoms of mild OHSS may include ovarian tenderness, nausea and vomiting. Symptoms of more severe OHSS may include severe abdominal pain, dark urine and dizziness. If you are on the HCG diet and are experiencing any of these symptoms, consult your physician.