HCG Levels in the first trimester

Patient : What does it mean if HCG levels are increasing but not by 50% every two days in early pregnancy?
Symptoms:  Slight spotting in week 5, cramps
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. Sometimes though HCG levels may not getting doubled in every t wo days, persistent rise may indicating continuation of pregnancy. But as you are having spotting, better to be careful and you may need HCG injections to prevent miscarriage. Be in rest and avoid strenuous activities. Please discuss these things with your doctor and follow her advice. Take care.