HCG value very high even in fifth month of pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hi Doc. My wife is pregnant and is currently in the 5the month of her pregnancy...A HCG report from her triple test has discovered a hCH value of 251231 mIU-ml (that dash is actually a slash)which accordingly to her doctor is not normal as the hCG chart shows the hCH value decreases in between 16-29th week period... Now need to know if everything is ok with the Baby and my wife herself ? What is this hCG after and how far does it matters with high values as in case of my wife ? Thank you so much.. Regards

Doctor

A:   Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is produced by trophoblast (cells that form the placenta). Levels can first be detected by a blood test about 10 days after conception. The level will reach its peak in the first 8 - 11 weeks of pregnancy and then will decline and level off for the remainder of the pregnancy. The normal level for hCG after 5 months is 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml (though this may differ from individual to individual).
High levels of hCG may be caused due to miscalculation of pregnancy dating, multiple pregnancy or molar pregnancy. I would suggest that your wife consult her doctor for further evaluation of high hCG levels.