Head laceration on scalp with four staples. How do I keep the area clean?

Patient

Q: Recently suffered a laceration to the scalp where I received 4 staples. How can I keep the area clean? I've been seeing mixed answers some say shower and some say don't shower. Should I also take an antibiotic? Thank you

Doctor

A:   No special methods are required to keep the wound clean. Cleaning the area with soap and water will suffice. If the wound has a dressing, you should have that dressing changed at least every other day. You may shower but ensure that the dressing does not get wet. You do not need to take any antibiotics unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.