Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Headaches and rash due to reaction to antibiotic

Headaches and rash due to reaction to antibiotic

Patient: I am currently taking an antibiotic sulfameth/thrimeth. Since taking it Ihave had headaches and now I have a tender red spot on the back of my head. Can this be from the antibiotic?

Symptoms: Constant headache, rash?

Doctor: Thank you for choosing ATD.Here is a list of some of the common side effects of Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim:Fe verItchingRashReaction due to an AllergySun-Sensitive SkinHead PainLoss of AppetiteSluggishnessVomitingAs you can see, the above have in the list headaches and sun-sensitive skin. The sun sensitive skin could lead to rash on the back of the head due to sunburn while you are out in the sun.This could cause the red spot at the back of the head. These are not permanent side effects and will wear off soon after you stop taking the medication.I hope this helps you. All the best.