Headaches due to IV contrast agent used for CT?

Patient

Q: Can the injections that are given for ct scans cause headaches afterwards.

Doctor

A:   The injections given during CT scans are intravenous contrast materials/agents which help in providing us with a clearer picture on CT. They are usually iodine or barium contrast agents. Typically the main side effects of these agents are allergic reactions to the material or kidney damage. As such they do not lead to or cause headaches as their side effect. If you headaches continue you should see your family physician to find out the cause of the same.