Headaches with protien

Patient

Q: Every time I try protein shakes I get headaches, some strong & some mild - is this just my body adjusting, will they go away with time?

Doctor

A:   I do not know of any specific cases of protein ingestion causing headaches.
It is advisable to keep a headache diary. Record the days and time you have a headache and document what you were eating or doing at that time. If after keeping such a dairy, there is clear link between protein shakes and your headaches, I would suggest trying another brand of shakes - it may be an ingredient in the shake as opposed to the protein causing your discomfort.  If your headaches to not improve or begin to worsen, please see your family doctor.