Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Healing nail bed repair

Healing nail bed repair

Patient: I recently had a nail bed reconstruction surgery about 2 months ago due to fracturing my nail beds on a couple of fingers in a metal sliding door accident. My surgeon had said that a new nail would grow in back in 6 months, well it’s been approx 3 months and I’m seeing results. However the scabs from the nail bed surgery that covers my fingertips are being overlapped by my ingrowing nails. Perhaps this may be my old nails because they are growing upward and not attaching itself to the skin. What do I need to do about the scabs being covered by the nails, they’re approx 50% covered.

Doctor: The scabs that you have described are most likely scar tissue from the healing process taking place. You should simply a llow them to grow. They will separate from the nail growing below leaving your new nails below. If after a week there is no evidence of separation you should see your surgeon again for further clarification