Health factoer of asbestos

Patient

Q: Hi i was wondering about asbestos exposures. How long do you need to be exposed to asbestos to get a asbestos related desease or how much can be a health risk

Symptoms:  Coughing, chest pain if enough is inhaled
Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We understand your concern.
Asbestosis can cause harm to your body especially the lungs. It has been classified under Occupational Lung Disease.
On prolonged exposure, it can cause Interstitial Ling disease (ILD), which can later cause Pulmonary Hypertension and Cor-Pulmonale.
See, duration after which one gets the disease is variable. There is no fix duration.
We have seen people developing ILD after just an year of exposure and also there are people who have carried there whole life exposed to Asbestos but did not develop any problem.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.