Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Healthy exercise routine

Healthy exercise routine

Patient: Hello, I am seventeen years old. For the past two years I have been working out with weights and modifying my diet to bulk up. My upper body has become very muscular, however I have gained a lot of fat in my thighs and buttocks. It looks weird to me as I appear to be a “pear-shaped” male. My goal is to lose fat in that region without sacrificing muscle and strength losses. I have read that estrogen is a common cause for fat gain in that region, however I have a very healthy diet. I eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. I don’t drink soda and coffee. I eat lean meat, whole wheat bread, cheese, and drink milk. Is it possible to “shift” fat away from those regions? Is my estrogen level too high or could this just be genetic? My father also has fat thighs and buttocks but he is obese and has a large gut as well. What would you recommend to lose fat in this area? I know weight loss helps but I want to make strength and muscle gains. Thank you.

Doctor: It seems that your case has a important “hereditary complexion type” component, but sure you can with a good diet and ex d exercise program target the unwanted fat in your legs. I recommend you get a Nutritionist assessment to work out the right diet for you and a trainer to teach you a routine emphasizing leg exercises. There are many body building supplements from various commercial brands, most of them have Creatine as main constituent, also aminoacids, proteins, all these may help to grow muscle and give you the necessary energy and aerobic capacity to develop your weight lifting daily routine. Every person is different and most likely the exercise routine should be customized for each case in particular. There is a very well described entity in the medical literature called: Overuse Syndrome, which can affect any part of the body that is over stressed with movements or activities in a repetitive way, including occupational, recreational, and habitual activities. Repetition is part of the definition of overuse injury. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities. So a daily healthy exercise routine besides the standard guidelines should be customized for each particular individual.