Healthy Kidney Diet?

Q: Hello, I'm going to be donating a kidney to a friend soon, and I'm in the final stages of medical evaluations and what-not to see if our plumbing is a match. I'm wondering if there's a particular type of diet I could get into until the procedure that would be especially good for my kidneys. I want them in squeaky clean, tip-top shape for the operation. any suggestions? thank you for your time. Matt

A:   First, I would like to thank you for your kind decision in donating an organ for a close friend.
I understand your concern about your kidney’s health. If your kidneys are in good shape, you won’t need to have a special diet since one of your kidney’s main functions is to clear your blood from toxins.
However reducing the number of toxins might help decreasing the extra work that your kidneys would need to accomplish and indirectly increase their functionality. Drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol. Reduce the amount of salt you eat and choose non-animal protein sources, such as nuts and legumes. Also avoid red meat specially grilles since this contains urea and nitrites which need to be cleaned by your kidneys as well.