Healthy pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hi, I am currently six weeks pregnant, I had two blood draws. My first result were good, two days after I had another blood draw, in which the hcg level doubled, but the progesterone level went from 23.5 to 18.what are the chances that I will have a healthy pregnancy?

Symptoms:  Nausea
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. You have not told us at what point during your pregnancy that you have had your blood tested. However, during the 6th week of pregnancy, hCG levels can range between 1000-5700 mIU/ml. Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) is produced by the placenta during the early weeks of pregnancy which acts to maintain the secretion of progesterone from the ovaries which maintain your pregnancy. Your progesterone level even though it has decreased, is still within normal range (10-44 if the units are in ng/ml). This does not appear to be a remarkable drop in progesterone levels. If you are have had or are having a high risk pregnancy, we recommend that you report these results to your ob/gyn to determine if you are required to take further precautions to protect against any complications.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com