Heart burn and cough

Patient

Q: Hi, I have a health problem. About a month ago, I quit smoking. The side effects are really hard. But after 3 weeks, I did it. I quit smoking, but there is a problem. I cannot lay on my back when I sleep, because after about 2-3 minutes, a pain comes through my sturnum, and I end up caughing. It ends up I have to take a Zantac 75 for Heartburn, I have to gargle with mouthwash for the coughing, and such down cough drops for the sore throat. Please help. This happens every night and I have no sleep.

Doctor

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

We are here to help you our best on this medical platform.
I have read your query in detail and i understand your concern. It seems you are suffering from Acid Peptic Disease/ Acid Reflux Disease. Smoking is one of the most common reason for developing the reflux. Since you have stopped smoking the symptoms are being aggravated as a result of withdrawal.
This usually presents with pain in upper part of abdomen. I would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone and to take anti flatulent and anti acidity syrup like Digene/Gelusil for symptomatic relief. Don't consume any alcohol. Avoid heavy meals and walk after each meal.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy