Heart problem in newborn: VSD and subsequent long terms effects

Q: Our fourth grandchild is due in September. The baby has been diagnosed with some heart issues. They know their is a vsd ( hole in the heart) that is medium to large in size. This has caused the left side of the heart to be smaller and underdeveloped at this time. There may also be a coartation of the aorta ( to be monitored after birth. When the vsd is closed surgically after birth, will the left side of the heart naturally increase in size with the potential blood flow increase? If not, will this affect the child's life?

A:   As the VSD is closed the heart will try and regain its normal size however there could be a slight difference in the size. However this will not affect the child in the long run as the main aim is to close the vsd and stop the oxygenated blood from mixing with the deoxygenated blood.