Heartburn and Heart Pounding

Patient

Q: I am 24 and have been drinking occasionally for about 4 years. Most of the time, it's wine. I drink one to three times a week, sometimes just one or two drinks and sometimes more. Within the last couple of months, if I drink half a bottle to a bottle of wine, I will wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I have heart burn and my heart is pounding. When I wake back up in the morning everything is back to normal.
It's very concerning as this has never happened before when I drink. What could it mean?

Symptoms:  Heartburn, heart pounding, disturbed sleep, anxiety
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

You seem to be having palpitations which occur commonly in people after drinking alcohol. Here are the reasons. Alcohol itself can irritate the nerve supply of the heart and cause them. Breakdown of alcohol to Aldehyde can cause the heart palpitations to occur.

You should avoid drinking alcohol or limit it. If the problem continues, get examined by a Doctor.

All the best.