Heat rush thru body then dizziness

Patient

Q: I recently had a wave of heat rush from my feet up to my head, then the room started spinning. I was sitting totally relaxed at the time. This has happened twice in the last couple days.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Our first inclination is to suggest that you have been experiencing an allergic reaction to something in your environment. This would support this sudden onset of flushing and dizziness that you are experiencing. However, if you do not have any known allergies it is also possible that this is being caused by a sudden hormonal fluctuations. Given your indicated age, it is possible that these symptoms could be due to menopause. As estrogen levels decrease within the body during menopause, you can experience these sudden onset of flushing, sweating, dizziness and irritability. Without further examination, we cannot offer you a more specific diagnosis to this so we recommend that you follow up with your doctor to conduct a complete examination. You may be required to have blood drawn in order to measure specific hormone levels to determine if your symptoms are of endocrine etiology.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com for your medical question.