x
Browse
166 Physicians Online

Question:

Heavy Bleeding 8 weeks after c-section.

I have a c-section almost 8 weeks ago. I passed blood through my vaginal for 3 weeks. At 4 weeks post op I began taking birth control pills. AT 5 weeks I began passing blood again. It's been almost 3 weeks and it hasn't stopped. Could something seriously be wrong. I am also still numb but I do feel pain in my vagina and lower left abdomen. I have not been sexually active. What should I do?

Answer:

Any bleeding more than 2 weeks after a c-section is cause for concern and needs to be investigated. The most probable cause would be a retained product of conception (placenta) that is causing the bleeding. You may need to visit you ob/gyn doctor for an internal examination, bloodwork and imaging studies to determine the cause of the bleed.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA