Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Heavy Bleeding 8 weeks after c-section.

Heavy Bleeding 8 weeks after c-section.

Patient: I have a c-section almost 8 weeks ago. I passed blood through my vaginal for 3 weeks. At 4 weeks post op I began taking birth control pills. AT 5 weeks I began passing blood again. It’s been almost 3 weeks and it hasn’t stopped. Could something seriously be wrong. I am also still numb but I do feel pain in my vagina and lower left abdomen. I have not been sexually active. What should I do?

Doctor: Any bleeding more than 2 weeks after a c-section is cause for concern and needs to be investigated. The most probable ca use would be a retained product of conception (placenta) that is causing the bleeding. You may need to visit you ob/gyn doctor for an internal examination, bloodwork and imaging studies to determine the cause of the bleed.