x
161 Physicians Online

Question:

Heavy Bleeding 8 weeks after c-section.

I have a c-section almost 8 weeks ago. I passed blood through my vaginal for 3 weeks. At 4 weeks post op I began taking birth control pills. AT 5 weeks I began passing blood again. It's been almost 3 weeks and it hasn't stopped. Could something seriously be wrong. I am also still numb but I do feel pain in my vagina and lower left abdomen. I have not been sexually active. What should I do?

Answer:

Any bleeding more than 2 weeks after a c-section is cause for concern and needs to be investigated. The most probable cause would be a retained product of conception (placenta) that is causing the bleeding. You may need to visit you ob/gyn doctor for an internal examination, bloodwork and imaging studies to determine the cause of the bleed.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA