Heavy bleeding for several weeks while on the pill.

Q: I began taking the pill three months ago, and finished two 21-day packs with no problems, not taking a break in between them. When I started taking the third pack, I began to experience light spotting. That was two weeks ago, and the bleeding has gotten about as heavy as a regular period. I decided to take a seven day break from the pills early, hoping that this would alleviate the bleeding, but it's exactly the same. I was on the pill about a year ago, and experienced a similar problem, but I thought it was because I was being inconsistent with taking the pills, and when I finally stopped the pills, the bleeding stopped. I have been religious about taking the pill at the same time every night this time around, and have no idea why this suddenly happened.
(I live in a country where birth control is sold over the counter, so I never saw a doctor before beginning the pills)