Heavy irregular periods with bleeding in between

Patient

Q: I am a 22 year old female and have been having periods for 10 years. My periods have always been irregular and often are very heavy. I also sometimes get bleeding in between my periods. I have never been sexually active and am not on any form of contraceptive pill.

I have been to the doctor and have had various tests, but all have been negative. I have been given medication to reduce my heavy periods, but I still have bleeding between periods and irregular periods. It is very frustrating as I still don't know what is wrong with me, and I feel like only the symptoms are being treated and not the problem. I don't know what is wrong with me, as I'm sure all of these symptoms together isn't normal.

What could be causing all these menstrual problems and should I be worried?

Doctor