Heavy vaginal bleeding for the past 4 months

Q: Hello, I dont know where to start but this is really bothering me, I have had medium to severe vaginal bleeding constantly for the last 4 months, with this there are large(loonie size) bright red clots with it and moderate to severe stomach cramps. I am soaking 2-3 maxi pads per hour and am very week. today is probably the worst day yet, I can not get in to see my family doctor or my Gyno. Should I go to emerg??? please help, BTW I am a 44 year old

A:   You should go to the emergency department or an urgent care center for evaluation immediately. If you feel too weak to get out of bed, then call an ambulance or a friend to help you. Heavy menstrual bleeding is common in women, and can be due to changes in the uterine lining, anatomical problems such as fibroids, and systemic bleeding problems due to low platelets or clotting factors. Very rarely, bleeding can be the first indication of uterine cancer. More urgently, bleeding to the point that you feel tired and unable to get out of bed is a very serious problem. Your blood counts could be dangerously low, and if you continue to bleed you could develop problems with your heart rate or blood pressure. You should call your doctor or go into the emergency room to have your blood levels checked as soon as possible. There are medications which can stop the bleeding, and you will likely need an ultrasound to determine why you are bleeding so much.