Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Heel Pain in a Young Woman

Heel Pain in a Young Woman

Patient: I already have very high arches in my feet. I have recently started to experience severe heel pain in the backs of my heels and on the bottoms. Could I possibly be developing heel spurs? Is there a shoe insert that has solid arch support with a good cushion for my heels? Thank you

Doctor: Plantar Fasciitis is produced by inflammation of the insertion on the heel of the plantar fascia (a fibrous layer that s upports the plantar arch muscles and ligaments), causing remarkable heel pain that alters your normal daily activities. It is the most common cause of heel pain in US. It can be associate or not with a “heel spur”. Initially the pain tends to decrease with walking but gets worse throughout the day as activity increases. The pain worsens by walking barefoot on hard surfaces or walking up stairs.The causes of Plantar Fasciitis are: aging, heel fat pad thinning, too low-arched or too high arched foot, weakness of the calf muscles, leg-length discrepancy, walking or running with inappropriate shoe type on poor cushioned surfaces, a change in the walking or running routine.The suggested strategy to treat conservatively plantar fasciitis would be: physical therapy aimed to stretch the muscles of the calf and foot, using ice packs after the exercise routine to decrease inflammation and pain, relative rest (avoiding activities that reproduce the heel pain), use of anti inflammatory drugs (example: “Advil”) and replacement of worn-out shoes by adequately cushioned shoes.For cases that do not respond to the conservative treatment, the corticosteroid injection on the site may be considered and if still there is no significant improvement, Surgery might be considered.