Hello, A few nights ago, I woke up from sleeping with

Q: Hello,

A few nights ago, I woke up from sleeping with a "tight throat", it felt like it was closing and I couldn't get the air I normally do. Because I had eaten a lot right before bedtime, I thought it was acid reflux, and the Zantac I took seemed to help a bit. It's been three days and now I am waking up every day with a sore throat and I still get the "throat closing" feeling from time to time - how long will this last? I've never encountered this before and am fairly healthy otherwise.

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Noted your history of waking up with tight throat, feeling like it is closing and soreness, now for three days. You have tried Zantac too. Wants to know how long will it last.

As you know the cause of such a Problem is most probably GERD due acid coming from the stomach to the esophagus.
I would advise your to try this.

I would advise the following in such a patient:
Continue Zantac 12 hourly.
Pepcid every 3 to 4 hours when on empty stomach.
Add Domperidone or such motility regulators.
Soft bland diet.
No aerated colas / soda/ drinks.
Early dinner. No late nights.
Treatment for anxiety (as prescribed / needs a prescription by your Doctor)
Lying in a reclining position
Walk around after dinner.
Think of the factors which increased the present problem, GERD, anxiety and try to avoid.
If no relief, get Upper GI endoscopy done and get prescription for added Medicines.

Hope this helps you.