Hello About a month or so ago I was playing

Q: Hello. About a month or so ago I was playing in a basketball game and I fell right on my patella, and ever since then my knee has been hurting. I've rested iced and started rehab, but it still hurts. When the injury happened, it was hurting on my patella and the medial side of my knee as well as the MCL. It started to bruise on the crease on the medial side and still hurts to touch. My athletic trainers said its nothing to worry about, but I feel like something is really wrong.

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

We are here to help you.
You seem to be have developed acute knee sprain, but you should rule out any knee ligament injury or bleeding inside the joint (Hamartosis). In such scenario, if the knee joint movement is fine, then we initially give 5 days conservative treatment and if there is no response, then we investigate.
So, you should do cold ice fomentation of the knee and apply Diclofenac ointment locally. In case of severe pain, you can take Pain killers like Diclofenac if the pain is severe and there are no contraindications for its use. Avoid sitting in squatting position and climbing stairs.
If you don't get any relief after even 5 days of therapy, then you would require to get MRI of your knee joint done, to rule out any ligament injury and hamartosis.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.