Hello doctor im approximately 1 month pregnant and i want an abortion

Patient

Q: Hello doctor

im approximately 1 month pregnant and i want to do an abortion. i took 4 tablets of cytotec at 5:30pm and another 4 tablets at 8:30pm. It's been 13 hours but still dont have any cramping or bleeding. please advice on what to do next.

Doctor

A:   Hi,

You should not use tablets for abortion without consulting a doctor.
Before planning for abortion, you have to get examined by your doctor and have to undergo an ultrasound. Ultrasound is needed to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy, to estimate the gestational age and to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
Usually, mifepristone followed by misoprostol(cytotec) tablets combination is used to for medical abortion.
Using tablets without ruling out ectopic pregnancy can lead do complications like rupture.
After taking tablets, it may take around 24 hours for the onset of bleeding and around 72 hours for completion of the process.
If you do not get bleeding even after 24 hours or severe pain, giddiness etc symptoms develop, better to consult your doctor and get evaluated.

Take care.