Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello Doctor Two weeks ago I fell on my knee cap

Hello Doctor Two weeks ago I fell on my knee cap

Patient: Hello DoctorTwo weeks ago I fell on my knee cap. I went to the emergency room and the doctor took an xray and advised I had suffered a knee contusion. Now after 2 weeks I still am suffering pain and continue to have swelling, although the welling has subsided. The pain is most at night when lying down. I walk a bit but do so with a limp and once in awhile the leg gives out. Am I just being impatient or do you think something else could be causing the healing time to take this long?

Symptoms: Knee contusion and pain after two weeks

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query on ATD.I have gone through your query and understand your concern. It is no rmal to have pain in knee contusion after two weeks. Swelling and pain is reduced but it is still pain and swelling. It is normal to have some swelling and pain even after 2 weeks. Nothing to worry much. It requires rest and analgesic such as ibuprofen for treatment.As your x-ray is normal so there is no fracture. You have mentioned that once in awhile the leg gives out so you need to get your MRI to rule out meniscus injury and ligament injury as these structures are not visible on x-rays.Hope your query get answered.Wishing you a good health.Take care.

Patient: Doctor
You mention an MRI is needed to show if I have ligament or meniscus injury. If so, would either of these require special treatment to heal and approximately how long would either take to heal. Thank you

Patient: You mention an MRI is needed to show if I have ligament or meniscus injury. If so, would either of these requirement special treatment to heal and approximately how long would either take to heal? Thank you

Patient: Are you going to answer the above followup question

Doctor: It depends upon MRI report whether ligaments injury is partial or complete. It may require splints in form of support or plaster for 4-6 weeks . It seems not to be a measure ligament injury such as complete ACL ligament tear in which sometimes arthroscopic surgery is required and it may take long time say 3 months to 6 months in complete recovery.