Hello Dr I have an anal fissure and my Dr said

Patient

Q: Hello Dr.
I have an anal fissure and my Dr. said that it usually needs 6 wks to heal, so currently I'm off the gym and not doing any heavy lifting. When would I be able to hit the gym again? And would lifting heavy weights contribute to the recur of an anal fissure? Thank you.

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

Yes, you should abstain from any heavy work or lifting heavy weights for at least a month post-surgery.
You can resume your daily activities after that, but make sure you take a high fiber diet with lots of fruits and green vegetables to prevent constipation.
Constipation and straining during stools are the commonest causes of an anal fissure.
Lifting heavy weights does not have any association with anal fissure directly, however, post-surgery if you lift heavy weights, it can make the fissure worse.
So please avoid any strenuous activities for at least a month.

Hope this was helpful.
Regards.