Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello, I am 16 years old and recently over the

Hello, I am 16 years old and recently over the

Patient: Hello,I am 16 years old and recently over the past months, about a week or two before I menstruate I get these bizzare pains in the lower right ovary. It comes and goes sometimes but recently it has been nonstop when I sit in a certain position or if I’m walking. I kind of self-diagnosed and it said I could possibly have an Ovarian Cyst, I also have had sexual-intercourse recently so I don’t know if that cod have anything to do with it? Please answer back as I have been very distressed for the longest time and I can’t ask my parent to go see a doctor as for numerous reasons. Thank you so much.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Pain just before cycles in a young female could be mostly due to spasmodic dysmenorrhea which is experienced by most of the woman and settles down on day 1 of the menstrual cycle. In case of persisting pain in your ovarian area, it could be due to an ovarian cyst, endometriosis, ovarian torsion or even cervical stenosis causing pooling of blood in the uterine cavity and the adnexa.You will have to see a gynecologist for an examination to rule out the above causes. Torsion of ovaries becomes an emergency and needs immediate attention. Hence, do not delay any longer and see a doctor soon. An ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis with a few hormonal tests and blood test may be needed. The doctor may put you on combined birth control pills for 3 cycles to regularize bleeding and relieve your pain abdomen. Drink plenty of water, focus on weight loss if you are over- weight and exercise daily. Reduce stress, stop smoking and alcohol in case you do.Hope this helped.Regards