Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello I am 19 years old and had recently gotten

Hello I am 19 years old and had recently gotten

Patient: Hello. I am 19 years old and had recently gotten my period after almost 6 months of having none.I am not on any birth control and I haven’t had sex. I was just really surprise how I got my period two days ago. What is the reason for this?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Irregularities in menstrual cycles can occur due to many ca uses like polycystic ovary disease, gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid hormonal imbalance, prolactin level changes etc.Amenorrhea leads to prolonged growth of endometrium, when the level of estrogen hormone falls in case of gonadal hormonal imbalance or blood supply to end part of endometrium cuts off, shedding of endometrium occurs along with menstrual bleeding.Take care