Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello I am a 15 year old female and have

Hello I am a 15 year old female and have

Patient: Hello I am a 15 year old female and have been having a stabbing pain near my heart and has recently been feeling like someone is on top of my chest and I can’t breath I have to take very short breaths or else I’m in a great amount of pain … It happens randomly through out the day .. My family is know to have a lot of heart problems what could this be?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Any pain in the area of the chest and around the chest needs immediate attention. It co uld mean an angina or an impending heart attack. Asthma, Chronic pulmonary obstructive disease, anxiety, excessive weight gain, thyroid disorders, overloading of the heart in cases of anemia and heart failures can also cause similar pain. Gastritis is also a known cause.Kindly consult a cardiologist soon to rule out the causes. You may need to undergo an ECG and a 2D ECHO as well.Hope this helped.Regards