Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello, I am a 18 years old female and stopped menstrual after 1st menstrual for one year.

Hello, I am a 18 years old female and stopped menstrual after 1st menstrual for one year.

Patient: Hello, I am a 18 years old female and when I was 13 I got my first menstraul then it stopped for one year. In that year, I had pain on the right side of my pelvis. I had x-rays, ultrasounds and got send to the hospital. I had surgery that next day. Come to figure out it was a teratoma tumor. I have my left ovary taken out. I also grew too much hair on my legs, arms and my voice got deeper. I have struggled with all of this since then. My question is is there anything that can help me get to my normal voice back? I think I am making too much of the male horomone that is in women’s body. Thanks.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It seems that you are suffering from PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome with hyperand rogenemia which is causing the excess androgen production leading to hirsutism, deeper voice and oligomenorrhoea. You need to be evaluated again with a hormonal profile and an ultrasound to establish the diagnosis and then can be started on low dose OC pills for at least 6 months to regularize the hormone levels again. The hoarseness in the voice may not be completely cured, but an improvement can definitely be seen,Hope this helps.Regards