Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello, I am a 20 year old female with concerns

Hello, I am a 20 year old female with concerns

Patient: Hello,I am a 20 year old female and I just have some concerns. Firstly, I currently am on the Implanon and have been for a little over 2 years. My first year of having it I had no periods, but within the last 7 months they have beeb regular. This month I only got my period for 3 days (usually it’s 5) and it was significantly lighter and was a brownish color. It’s been a week since my “period” and I am having mild to severe cramps. Is it possible that I’m pregnant or am I just being paranoid?

Doctor: Hi. Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.Etonorgestrel Implants are known to be quite effective in preventing unw anted pregnancies. The failure rate is very low. Less than 1 out of 100 women a year will become pregnant using the implant. It lasts up to three years. Bleeding patterns may change in implant users that may raise an alarm. If you are still in doubt, get a home pregnancy test and consult your doctor.I hope this helps.All the best.